When Stefan asked me a few minutes ago what I thought of the DNS of milumil.de, my first thought was: “WTF, can’t he look himself?”. Now, Stefan isn’t stupid, so I’d better pull my finger out! I started out with a bit of dig.

    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 40735
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0
    ;milumil.de.                    IN      ANY
    milumil.de.             40857   IN      MX      10 mail.global.frontbridge.com.
    milumil.de.             40849   IN      A
    milumil.de.             84054   IN      NS      ns2.domainnetwork.se.
    milumil.de.             84054   IN      NS      ns.domainnetwork.se.
    milumil.de.             84054   IN      NS      ns3.domainnetwork.com.

Ok, no DNSSEC to be seen. Records seem OK as far as I can tell. MX is correctly set (doesn’t point to an IP address). The MX’s name resolves to an address. Hmm. Then I queried for the reverse IP, but nothing particularly exciting there either:

    ;; ANSWER SECTION: 83892 IN PTR www.milupa.de.

Nothing exciting except that I recognized the name Milupa. The whois entry for the domain confirmed that it belongs to Milupa. So I said:

children’s milk seems to have lots of names…

He then told me to visit the site, which I did: No milk. Some zone admin entered a wrong IP address into the zone’s data. Thanks for the grin, Stefan. :-)

Uncategorized and fail :: 22 Jan 2011 :: e-mail