My original Sonos pause switch, while good in itself, has experienced a large number of revisions: Simon Long added infra red capabilities to it, and has since revisited the code to such an extent that the functionality of the IR remote is almost overkill. I say “almost” because the remote now has far more functions than I could possibly want. Some of the highlights:
- Pause and play of course. That was what I originally implemented and is the most important to me.
- Infrared remote control.
- Next, previous, shuffle, repeat, scan, reverse, forward.
- Volume up/down; very practical.
- Save/recall of radio presets.
- And a whole lot of other goodies.
Simon has been working hard at the code. The version you get for free has most of the above. The rest not. At least, not yet. I’ve been using the remote controlled switch extensively, but until now it was a heap of parts on my desk. Not any longer: I’ve decided to put it into production. This is the hardest part of the work: finding a nice case. I’d have liked a custom made plexiglass thingy, but those cost way too much to have made. I spent part of the morning talking to people at hobby markets about pouring epoxy resin onto electronics, but nobody I know can tell me whether that would damage any of the electronics on the Arduino. So, as an initial step, I invested in a little plastic tupperware-kind-of-tub which holds the parts. Here it is: I know: it is ugly as sin sitting on the beautiful Sonos S5. I put it there to take the picture. (I’ll put it aside later.) Let me show you a picture of the back of the Sonos. Here you see that the remote is connected directly into one of the S5’s Ethernet jacks, from which it connects wirelessly into the rest of the network: So, what does that ugly little orange container contain? It holds the electronics. These are
- An Arduino Duemillanove, onto which is stacked
- an Ethernet shield, onto which is stacked
- the high-tech JP shield for the Sonos Remote. :-)
This last part, the JP shield for the Sonos Remote is a horribly looking bit of perfboard with an IR module and a red LED soldered onto the bottom of it. The drips of solder make the connections to the necessary pins on the Arduino (pin 2 for the IR, pin 3 for the LED) as well as to GND and VCC. I wanted an additional large LED so that I can “see” the device work. (The LED is light in the first photo above.) If anybody reading this can make good looking enclosures for this stack, I’d be very glad to hear about it. That is the only thing that is keeping me back from giving at least two of these marvelous devices to friends. It really is damn cool.