EximA user of one of our small and distant mail servers reported "missing e-mails" this morning. It turns out they weren't missing (of course), but I'd had them misplaced. ;-)

When we set up the mini mail servers, I'd taken most of Exim's configuration from the original IMAP design, and in that, I had set up automatic delivery of messages marked as spam into a Junk folder, like this:

      driver = appendfile
      maildir_format = true
      directory= ${lookup ldap{ LDAP_HOMEDIR }{$value${if eq {${substr_0_3:$header_X-SpamScore:}}{sss}{/Maildir/.Junk}{/Maildir/}}}}

The directory into which a message is deposited in this Maildir is retrieved from LDAP: it is the user's home directory. If the spam score in the X-SpamScore header is low, I add the string /Maildir/ to $HOME, otherwise /Maildir/.Junk/, causing messages with a highish spam score to be delivered to the named directory.

All this is fine and dandy, but it is lousy when users get their e-mail via POP3, because our Dovecot servers aren't configured to look in the Junk folder for new messages! So what was happening is that spam-marked messages were never seen by the clients.

I'd fixed that some time ago, and had deployed the change to all the servers. I thought. I seem to have missed one.

File this under "oops". :-(

Flattr this
LDAP, Exim, CLI, MTA, POP3, and Maildir :: 27 Oct 2009 :: e-mail


blog comments powered by Disqus